Jackson Akitt Candice for the series Non-Binary Portraits

Graduates 2017: Jackson Akitt

“I hope to keep working on my non-binary portraits project with more emphasis on photographing people across the UK – as well as Brighton and London.”

Hi Jackson. Tell us about your work

“My work focuses on exploring identity, memory and self-representation – I have been working on my non-binary portraits project, which I’ll be exhibiting at the graduate show, with more emphasis on photographing people across the UK rather than in Brighton and London. So far I’ve been to Swansea and Manchester, and have plans for shoots in Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Bristol, Birmingham and Portsmouth. Ideally I am looking to exhibit the work in these locations too, after I graduate.

“Other than that, I’m also working on my writing and contributing to an anthology of essays by/about transgender and non-binary identified people. My essay will be about my project, as well as more generally the importance and of photography for representation of gender minority groups, and the book has just recently launched its fundraising through Unbound.

How have you found studying Photography at Brighton?

“At a huge risk of sounding cheesy, I’ve really grown into myself during my time on the course as both a person and as an artist. I’ve built confidence and support networks that have made all the difference in pushing my practise forward. The standard of teaching on the Historical & Critical Studies modules of our course is really outstanding, and the opportunities in Brighton as a place are incredible. I’ve been able to volunteer with both the Brighton Photo Biennial and the Brighton Photo Fringe, which has been incredibly valuable in finding a place in the photographic community here as well as gaining hands on experience in invigilation and installation of exhibitions. As a non-binary, queer-identified student I’ve found the Photography faculty largely welcoming and considerate in relation to respecting my identity as well as the work I make relating to it.”

Clockwise from top left: Candice, Kelly, Mati, Teddy, Sal and Rohan for the series Non-Binary Portraits

Find out more

Visit Jackson’s website

Read Jackson’s Brighton Photo Biennial bio

Read a profile of Jackson on Vice magazine’s Broadly channel

Find out more about our BA(Hons) Photography course here