holly johns

Graduates 2017: Holly Johns

“My work is inspired by the quotation ‘You do not have a soul; You are a soul; You have a body’. My vessels are sized from measurements of my body then formed by an embrace…”

We spoke to the 3D Design and Craft student making beautiful vessels, with the help of her own body

Hi Holly – what are you creating for your final project?

“Working in a variety of different clays, I am producing self portraits that have an intimate process in making, as well as the surface decoration. The vessels are sized from measurements of my body then formed by an embrace – finally the surface pattern comes from body prints being enlarged or printed direct from my body. This creates the intimate connection, which is disconnected to a viewer but resides within myself and the vessel. Therefore a self portrait is formed by a direct connection from the body to the clay creating an abstracted self portrait, which contains no visual identity of myself but is a direct result of my body.”

What inspires you?

“My work is inspired by the quotation ‘You do not have a soul; You are a soul; You have a body’. This quotation is communicating the idea that you have body, like a possession, and stating that your soul is what makes you who you are. However our soul cannot live without our body, thus our body becomes a vessel for our soul. Therefore I am taking an experimental approach to portrait making by investigating this idea that our body is a vessel and communicating this in a subtle and abstract manner.”

What are your thoughts on the course?

I have really enjoyed the past 3 years studying 3D Design and Craft; I have gained many skills covering many different material areas, as well as pursuing the materials that have become my main interest. There is a great creative atmosphere throughout the studios and is a very interactive, close-knit course.”

What is next for you?

“After graduation from University of Brighton I will be exhibiting alongside other ceramic students at Art in Clay in Hatfield. I am planning on staying in Brighton whilst continuing to work and set up a studio space to begin to establish myself as a ceramicist, undertaking any opportunities that will be beneficial to my practice and skill.”

Follow Holly on Instagram

Find out more about our BA(Hons) 3D Design and Craft course here