My practice focuses on the intersections of childhood imagery, the  media-fuelled collective unconscious and personal symbolism. Many of the typical images of a utopian society fill me with a certain anxiety; that I won’t belong there, that my identity is too tied to trauma and mental illness. This is the main focus of my piece Life in the City. The Upstairs Window is a view on the utopian memory that nostalgia can impose. The Beast’s Belly Selfie Mirror puts you inside a beast, placing your surroundings in a different context, whether this is protective or frightening to the viewer. To me this is a utopia, to view myself and my world as only gut bacteria.

Life in the City (2021), approx. 34 x 29 x 20 cm, expanding foam, clingfilm, enamel paint, acrylic paint, PVA glue, Gorilla glue, cocktail sticks, glass beads, steel pins

The Upstairs Window (2021), 59 x 48 cm, acrylic paint, enamel paint, PVA glue, thrifted frame, board, Gorilla glue, waxed glass beads, polyester thread, polyester stuffing

Beast’s Belly Selfie Mirror (2021), 52 x 52cm, mirror, acrylic paint, PVA glue, thrifted beads (wood, glass, ceramic), Mammoth tape