Explicit Values: A new mechanism for assessing legacies
This short animated video illustrates new concepts developed in the ‘Starting from Values’ project funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, in particular the value of making values explicit when assessing projects, and how this can help to articulate legacies rather than impacts.
The WeValue approach was developed through an EU-funded research project – ESDInds 2009-2011 and continues to be enhanced. The methodologies and indicators developed uses a shared understanding of values as a starting point, and has been shown to be successful for the following purposes:
- Organisational change, including:
- Deep values conceptualization, which can help for instance to articulating vision and mission statements
- Increasing esteem among participants
- Mainstreaming values in organisations
- Design and strategic planning, including:
- Effective external values communications
- Developing a values-led monitoring and evaluation frameworks, including
- Building capacity for assessment of values-based achievements
- Developing new values-based indicator systems for locally valid assessments of sutainability and progress beyond GDP
- Embedding Education for Sustainability in:
- Educational establishments
- Teaching and learning
- Informal education activities
- Identifying and assessing legacies of projects or collaborations
Why start from values?. This video outlines some of the benefits identified by community partners and researchers from using a values-based approach in their work.
Please visit the individual pages on the right-hand side menu to find out more.