PHOTOGRAPHY BY ME
STYLING BY LAUREN COLLIER
I am extremely happy with the final outcome of this shoot and I think that it was very successful. We decided to use the studio for this shoot so that our model would be comfortable and confident with her surroundings as we did want to portray a strong, dominant, confident woman for this shoot and we really think she pulled through with this- making our concept show through. We decided to go for a strong, contrasting effect as we wanted it to reflect with the intense outfit and concept. Using the studio gave us great control with lighting and allowed us to create the effect we wanted. As I was inexperienced with using the studio, a lot could have gone wrong, therefore I think the practise that I did in my bedroom from previous test shoots really allowed me to be a little more confident with using studio lighting.
We also took a few images using a red gel infront of the image to create a hazy, effect. We decided we wanted to encorporate some red into the images as it is a symbolic colour that represents desire, passion, sex etc hence why we thought it would be aesthetically pleasing to include some colour. When narrowing down our image selection, we thought that the images were not strong enough to be included into the final selection as the red was maybe too empowering. We still wanted to include some redness into our photos, so I have edited it in to form a bold border instead, which I think compliments the images really well.
When it came to editing these images I wanted to go for an intense, strong black and white effect to really focus on the darkness of the goth subculture. I used lightroom and photoshop to touch up the images by increasing the clarity, contrast and blackness on each image- whilst decreasing the highlights to create a smooth effect that wasnt too harsh to look at.
Following on from research, I decided to conduct a shoot based around goth subculture by taking inspiration from fetish wear. For this shoot I wanted to primarily focus on shooting with the boots and experimenting with composition. I decided to use neon lighting strips- inspired by the Marc Jacobs campaign shoot I have previously researched. I thought that this would add an interesting twist on the traditional goth culture shoots that I have seen. Overall, I think that this shoot went okay, however it could have been better if I had the right things to style with as I do not think that her outfit reflects on goth culture or fetish wear. Because of this, I found it hard to focus on the concept that I had in mind which is based on body image and confidence. I do think that some of them do reflect on this theme- such as the portraits. I do think that the outfit ruined the whole theme however it was a valuable shoot to familiarize myself with photography and lighting situations.
Overall, I think that this shoot was successful and I was able to capture some good portraits. However due to space, I was unable to capture full length images well as things were in the way! Despite this I am happy with the images I got from this new romantics test shoot. If there is a next time, it would like to shoot in a studio space where I am able to fully see my concept and vision through.
For this shoot, I used two sources of light- the camera flash and a lamp. This was not enough exposure for my camera to handle therefore some images came out too underexposed than I wanted them to be. Therefore I went over to lightroom and photoshop to retouch some of these images. I have very little experience with both software therefore it was fun to experiment and play around, getting familiar with both software. I used youtube videos for demonstrations of all the different tools available- such as using the stamp and clone tool to remove imperfections, or how to use the curve tool. I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to use photoshop and lightroom and I now feel confident to use these learnt skills for further shoots.