13/02/20

In this weeks lesson we were able to delve into more the history of cinema, particularly between the years 1895-1905. Looking at the varying qualities and aesthetics of these films types usually following a short format with little cutting, no-sound, black and white – overall had very little editing done.

Short Evaluation

After going through this we were tasked to create a 45 second short. Though I found myself breaking some of the rules of this task particularly: the length is a few seconds longer, whilst there is no sound I did add a small segment of music to give the production a more timely feel, and finally movement to the camera. I mostly had the camera remain rooted to one position however there is some slight tracking movements.

Even with these rules broken I feel this short does represent the overall intention of this task as I successfully made a short in one shot. The shot was of the photos I have in my room, on my wall and one I have framed. The framed photo is of a friend who now lives in America, moved 9 years ago, the photos on my pin board are from across the years since then – with new friends, new memories and in the end returning to the framed photo. I feel as a narrative this represents the growth of a person, what time can do though that, that does not make the past any less precious or that person any less meaningful.