Out-of-Office Email Content – February to March 2020
Thursday 20th – Friday 21st of Feb
Monday 24th – Wednesday 26th of Feb
I am on strike. The background to this is summed up by these points: In higher education…
- women are paid on average 15.1% less than men
- the disability pay gap is 8.7%
- black academic staff earn 12-13% less than white colleagues of the same gender and experience
- salaries have fallen against inflation by over 20% since 2009.
- academic staff work over 50 hours during a typical week.
- Over 100,000 staff are employed on fixed-term contracts, and a further 70,000 are employed on other casual contracts.
The industrial action is intended to force the employers who run higher education to improve the situation in four specific areas:
While I am on strike, I will not be checking or sending emails. I will read your message when I return to work after the strike action and will respond in due course.
- Strike explainer for students
- Teach Out Schedule
- General information and updates at the Brighton UCU blog