What materials can I use?
- Hard Wood (up to 20mm)
- Soft Wood (up to 20mm)
- MDF (up to 20mm)
- Plywood (up to 20mm)
All thicknesses of material we can cut are dependant on tool size. The larger the diameter of the tool, the deeper we can cut. Small diameter tools are for thin materials and engraving purposes only.
What are the limitations?
To achieve sharp corners or a 3D effect you can use a V carve tool, commonly used for traditional sign making.
What size can I cut?
Depth (y): 980mm
Please be aware that this is the absolute maximum size of the cutting bed. Materials we provide are smaller than this size so please check the max material dimentions before you submit your file.
How much does it cost?
How do I prepare a file?
We find the best software to produce a drawing in is Adobe Illustrator but sadly saving a file in Adobe Illustrator as a .dxf usually produces an unreadable file or a drawing which looks far different from that which you drew. The way around this problem is to save your file as a normal illustrator file (.ai) and then import it into Rhino 6. This way we can then export the file from Rhino as a .dxf and it will be exactly as it should be.
To assist you with your file preparation you can download a template on the Downloads page.
File Preparation for Rhino 6
- Save your file in Adobe Illustrator as a normal Adobe Illustrator file. This can be any version of Adobe Illustrator including CS6. Alternatively you can draw your file in Rhino 6.
- Open Rhino 6. Click File>>Import and open your Adobe Illustrator drawing. You may need to change the file type to ‘All Files’
- In the ‘Import Options’ dialog select preserve units and ensure that you make the unit type (e.g. mm, inch) the same unit you used in Adobe Illustrator.
- Once your drawing has been imported. Select all of the drawing and go to File>>Export Selected
- Change ‘Save File Type’ to AutoCAD Drawing Exchange File (.dxf), name the file, choose a location and click save.
- When prompted choose the option ‘2004 Polylines’. Click OK and your file will be saved.
For more information on how to prepare a file for the CNC Router please visit our Downloads page.
Other CAD Software
Many other CAD packages can be used to prepare files for the CNC Router. For these packages please look to save your files as a .dxf and send it to us to be checked.