EU students – do you think you’re eligible for student finance as a migrant worker?

Most undergraduate EU students who have come to the UK to study can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance.          This applies to full and part time study.

However, there are exceptions for those who have been living in the UK for more than 5 years and also migrant workers.


What is the difference for migrant workers?

Simple – migrant workers are eligible for the same student finance as UK students. In other words they can apply for Maintenance Loans to help pay for living costs as well as the standard Tuition Fee Loan and University of Brighton bursary.

In Student Finance terms, who counts as a migrant worker?

  • an EEA or Swiss national (or close family member of) who has lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least three years before the start of the course and
  • who is living in England on the first day of the first academic year of their course and
  • is enrolled on a full-time course that qualifies for student finance and
  • is working for a minimum of 10 hours per week

How does a migrant worker apply for funding?

Along with your student finance application, you’ll need to send SFE your original non UK passport, proof of where you have been living for the last 3 years and evidence of your wages. If you are applying for September 2019 entry, you need to provide proof of September’s wages. You need to continue to provide proof of wages throughout the year, so make sure you keep hold of all your payslips.

You may also be asked to provide additional information, which SFE will write to you about.

Can an EU student change an application from EU funding to migrant worker?

Yes absolutely. If you have already been assessed to receive a Tuition Fee Loan (and possibly also a University of Brighton bursary), you should complete a paper PN1 application form for 2019/20 Student Finance England will then transfer your record from one assessment team to another. This process can take 6 weeks.

Any reassessment will be backdated to the start of the academic year

If you want to talk to Student Finance England about this, you should contact them direct:

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

Post: European Economic Area (EEA) Migrant Worker Applications
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington DL1 9AZ

Alternatively, you can also contact us in Student Advice about any questions you may have.

The university has prepared some useful Brexit advice for students for any EU students who may have concerns or questions.

Student Advice Service

Helen is the Student Advice Service Manager within Student Services and is based in Tithe Barn on the Moulsecoomb campus

Posted in General advice and information, Money Advice, Student Finance News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Student finance in the news

  • No items found in feed URL: You requested 5 items.
  • Subscribe By Email

    Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

    This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Skip to toolbar