Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton

Money Week round up – what happens next?

As Money Week draws to a close for another year, we can take a breath and recharge. We’ll be reflecting on your input and sharing our findings through this blog in the next couple of weeks, so watch this space….

We hope that those of you who engaged with any of activities during the week now feel motivated to think about changing some spending habits (if you need to) or proud of yourselves for sharing your experiences, which we know makes a real difference to other students.

Today is your last chance to get involved in person with the Student Advice roadshow. We’ll be open for business between 11.30am – 2pm outside Sallis Benney theatre at Grand Parade main building, City Campus, where the tombola of joy is waiting for you……..

We know that money stress affects our students, but the Student Advisers are here to take the strain. From helping with budget plans to checking student finance entitlement, advising what to do when things change or go wrong and guiding you through the Student Support Fund process.

Last year, we responded to 3500 enquiries and worked on a further  2000 student cases. The Funds team processed over 1000 applications to  university funds. That’s us in numbers, but this reflects us in practice, taken from your feedback:

• I just wanted to say a big thank you for processing and approving my student support fund application. Your teams help is greatly appreciated.
  • I am writing this email as a form my greatest gratitude. You have no idea how much this appreciated, specially during this time in my life and this help can reduced my anxiety a bit. I thank everyone who helped with this very much
  • I have checked and you’re right, I can get a smaller amount of money from student finance which is fantastic as I really need it. Thank you for taking your time to review my application.
  • It will make my degree finish smoothly with hopefully the best grades I could achieve.
  • Thank you very much for considering my application and giving me this award. I am really grateful and I appreciate the patience and understanding your team had all through the process.
  • Oh my gosh!!!! I cannot explain just how much of a difference this makes!!! This has taken such a huge strain off me.
  • Thank you so much.  I cannot believe how quickly you have processed my application.  It will alleviate so much pressure and make such a huge difference to my studies.  The award will enable me to pay for my travel up until the end of term.  This will help me to be able to focus on my studies and relieve my anxiety about my finances
  • My thanks to the student support team, you have made a tremendously positive impact to my time at Brighton uni.

These testimonials have all been taken from students who received the Student Support Fund this academic year.

This campaign was brought to you by the Student Advice Service, but a huge thanks to everyone who supported this event: Sport Brighton and Hospitality for their tombola prize donations; C-Change for lending us their tombola machine.

Helen Abrahams • February 15, 2019