Have you got a question about your student finance?

Have you been assessed but you think you should be receiving more?

Have you been assessed but you’re not sure what it all means?

Have you been assessed but you’re still waiting for your funding?

Are you still waiting to be assessed and you need some help?

The Student Advice Service can help with these questions and more………

  • If you want to be assessed for (up to) the maximum Maintenance Loan available to you as a ‘dependent’ student, your sponsor needs to support your application – this means that your parent/s need to send proof of their income for the complete financial year 2016/17. Typically this means they need to send P60s or proof of self employed accounts, DWP benefits and so on.
  • If your household income has changed more than 15% since 2016/17, you can request an in-year reassessment, but you need to provide evidence that this change is likely to stay the same for the forthcoming year. An example of this is if one of your parents is no longer working.
  • Do you think you might be an independent student (ie not assessed on your parent/s household income income) have a look at the additional information attached here (the Student Finance England factsheet)
  • Are you estranged from your family or care experienced? We contacted you recently to tell you about extra support we can offer you, so please get back in touch with us if you need some help or just to make contact and say “hi”.
  • Have you just started a new Health Science course which has an academic calendar of 43 or 45 weeks this year? You need to check your funding authority is paying you the correct amount of money.
  • Do you want to know more about the University of Brighton bursary? If you are an England domicile student, you should be automatically considered for a bursary in your first year. If you are an EU student in your first year, we will be in touch with you shortly. We are informing students of their entitlement now, so keep an eye on the ‘letters and emails’ drop down option on your student finance portal. If you haven’t heard from us by 1st December, please email the bursaries team bursaries@brighton.ac.uk. Bursary payments will be made in 2 instalments, in January and May 2018.
  • Do you normally receive DWP Benefits? The Student Advisers can help check your reassessment is correct, so bring your full entitlement letters to a drop in session at any campus.
  • Anything else? Please contact Student Advice at your or any campus

Student Advice Service

Helen is the Student Advice Service Manager within Student Services and is based in Tithe Barn on the Moulsecoomb campus

Posted in General advice and information, Money Advice, Money, Grants and Bursaries

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Student finance in the news

  • No items found in feed URL: http://news.google.com/news/section?cf=all&ned=uk&q=Student+finance. You requested 5 items.
  • Subscribe By Email

    Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

    This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Skip to toolbar