Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton

Register NOW to vote in the EU referendum

EU referendumIts a busy time for students – revising for exams, handing in assignments and finishing off projects, let alone looking for  work, moving out and finding accommodation for next year. The EU referendum on 23rd June may not be a priority for you right now – but it may be in a couple of weeks and you need to register to vote by 7th June.

First, you need to check if you are eligible. This table explains more:

23566-b53vngSecond, you need to check if you have already registered

Where you register to vote has implications. If you have already registered, you may have been sent a voting form – this is where you need to vote. Make sure you know the location of the polling station which you have been allocated. Don’t assume it will be the same as someone who lives round the corner.

If you haven’t already registered, find out where you will be on 23rd June, then register here before 7th June.

If you aren’t clear about your circumstances or things may change before 23rd June, read on……

“I’ve registered at my term time address but I won’t be there on 23rd June” – that’s fine, you can either apply to have a proxy vote (this means that you nominate someone to vote for you in person, on the day) or you can apply to make a postal vote (this means that you send your vote in the post ahead of time)

“I’ve registered at my home address, but I won’t be there on 23rd June” – that’s fine, you can either apply to have a proxy vote (this means that you nominate someone to vote for you in person, on the day) or you can apply to make a postal vote (this means that you send your vote in the post ahead of time)

“I haven’t registered but I don’t know where I’m going to be on 23rd June” that’s fine, you can either apply to have a proxy vote (this means that you nominate someone to vote for you in person, on the day) or you can apply to make a postal vote (this means that you send your vote in the post ahead of time)

“I don’t know anyone to vote for me on the day” – that’s fine, you can apply to make a postal vote (this means that you send your vote in the post ahead of time)

If you have registered to vote at your home address, you must vote from there, likewise if you have registered to vote from your term time address you need to vote from there.

Happy voting!

Student Advice Service

EU referendumvoting

Helen Abrahams • May 31, 2016