Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton

11

Apply to the hardship funds by 12th June

hand-holding-cash

Are you having financial problems?

Are your money worries stressing you out?

Could a bit of extra cash help you out of a sticky situation?

Do you want some financial advice or need help with your funding application for next year?

You should contact the Student Advice Service without delay.

The university has hardship funds available for students in financial need and the closing date for this year’s applications is 12th June. This applies to all Home undergraduate and postgraduate students continuing with their studies after 12th June (ie continuing students). The deadline for final year students was 8th May.

The hardship funds look at individual circumstances – your and not your parents/guardians’ income. Every application is considered on its own merits.

THE DEADLINE FOR CONTINUING APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY 12TH JUNE

For more information on the funds, and an application form, please follow the link below. There are different funds for EU and International students which are all listed here:
https://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/my-finances/hardship-funding/index.aspx

Please phone 01273 642888, or pop in to the drop in service at your campus or email studentadvice@brighton.ac.uk

Student Advice Service

hardship fundsmoneystudent support fund

Helen Abrahams • June 1, 2015

Comments

1. Charles Pender May 20, 2015 - 12:20 pm Reply

Some money would be great, i need more equipment for uni!!!!

• Louise June 16, 2015 - 11:24 am Reply

I was MAJORLY let down by the student hardship fund this year.
      Cannot understand the system they use to deem who is in need, and i feel i was very let down And left with little support.
      I have seen others apply and be successful when they’ve not even needed it (as they told me they were employed and not even in their overdraft)

It’s hard enough asking for financial help, let alone being told no and left to appeal which i felt was essentially begging further and rather embarrassing..
      I don’t feel I gained the support I was seeking, and has put me off seeking help again if i’m honest.

• Helen Abrahams June 22, 2015 - 11:33 am Reply

Hi Louise, I’m sorry to hear that you had a negative experience when you applied for one of the funds this year.
        We use a standard assessment process looking at an individual’s income and expenditure and unfortunately not everyone is successful, for different reasons.
        The government withdrew all hardship allocation to universities this last academic year which means our budget was significantly reduced.

If you would like to discuss your application and experience with a Student Adviser or myself, please contact the Advice Service at your campus or you can email me h.l.abrahams@brighton.ac.uk.
        I do take student feedback very seriously and although unable to reverse any decision already made on your application, I would be interested to hear any suggestions you may have on how we can improve on our service delivery.

Best wishes
        Helen

2. Aisling mcgibbon June 10, 2015 - 7:14 pm Reply

Hello,I have just finished my 1st year studying literature and did not hear about this fund until now. I am 29 years old and receiving no money from anywhere else except my student loan. I work part time and wanted to go full time over the summer but I work for an agency (nurse plus-care assistant) and am not getting any work. I have spoken to them but they say this is how things are. I have headed out cvs but still here no reply. I am finding it quite hard at the moment and just wondered if there was any help I could get?
    Thank you for ready this.
    Aisling mcgibbon.

• Helen Abrahams June 12, 2015 - 8:52 am Reply

Hi Aisling, I understand you’ve been in touch with the Advice team yesterday. We’ll get the summer form sent out to you as soon as we have them printed.
      In the meantime, if you haven’t already done so, make sure you apply for your funding for next year as soon as possible.
      Best wishes
      Helen

3. joel June 11, 2015 - 6:30 pm Reply

I have picked up the standard form for hardship funds from student services is that the right one?

• Helen Abrahams June 12, 2015 - 8:55 am Reply

Hi Joel

We have a few different funds, but if you came to see a Student Adviser at one of the campuses yesterday they would have given you the right form.
      Have a look at the information on the application form as it explains who is eligible.
      Today is the closing date for undergraduate applicants, so make sure you get the form back to one of the Student Advice offices today.
      Best wishes
      Helen

4. Ruth June 15, 2015 - 4:35 pm Reply

Hi,
    I have recently finished my second year but need to apply for this, however due to technological problems I only just got the email. Is there any way I could still apply? Would be much appreciated for this year and my final year which starts in September as I am living solely on my student loan and my parents earn the minimum income. I have been looking for work but am yet to hear back from anywhere.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Helen Abrahams June 16, 2015 - 8:25 am Reply

Hi
      I’m sorry but the fund closed last Friday for continuing undergraduates. It has been open throughout the academic year, but we have to close it at the end of the summer term.
      However, we do have a Summer Fund for students who are unable to work during the vacation, so I suggest you contact us by phone to discuss your circumstances and possible eligibility. The number is 01273 642888.
      You mention you didn’t get the email due to technological problems – if you sign up to the money blog you should automatically receive these notifications as soon as they are posted.

Best wishes
      Helen

5. Ana Lopez July 5, 2015 - 9:05 am Reply

Hi,

I have recently finished my 1st year studying English Language and for many circumstances I have been forced to stay in Brighton for the summer instead of going home which means I still need to pay for transport, food and bills. I have managed to get a part time job but they are only able to offer 8 hours a week which is really nothing. I have explained to them that due to my circumstances it would be helpful if they gave me more hours but they are not able to do so. I have also spoken to my parents but they are unable to help me in any form as they are also have financial problems of their own. I don’t know if i’m eligible to any help at all but, it would be helpful to know if I am.

Many thanks
    Ana

• Helen Abrahams July 6, 2015 - 10:44 am Reply

Hi Ana

The Student Support Fund closed on 12th June, but we do have a Summer Fund available, which closes this Friday, 10th July. If you have a look at the guidance notes on the application form (which is downloadable) this may be something you can apply for: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/my-finances/hardship-funding/summer-hardship-fund.aspx if you have any questions or you want to have a chat about your circumstances, please call the Funds team 01273 642869

Best wishes
      Helen

Student Advice Service