Ideas and archaeology: Anthropomorphism

Concept:

My initial interest with this brief was to explore the subject of anthropomorphism. Something that I felt would be best illustrated by the cartoon character Mickey Mouse. I wanted to de-construct the famous scene from Steam Boat Willy. I started by locating a skeleton of a mouse on the internet, that once arrived had to be re-articulated into the pose from the cartoon. This was an extremely challenging process due to the delicate nature of the skeleton. It was very easy to dislocate the anatomy. I started with some preliminary sketches that transposed the inner structure into how it would be constructed. I then started to re create the scene by using additional materials such as millput and balsa wood.

Above are some extracts from the first batch of sketches.

Process

I documented the process as part of a progression of the idea. On reflection I think this should have been filmed and edited in the style of a cartoon. This would have illustrated a more clearer vision of my original intention. This brief offered me the opportunity to explore this subject and try something that I have never done before. Each part of the process was very time consuming. The glueing and re-articulation required a lot of patience and a steady hand.

At the start of the project you can clearly see all the ribs, however by the finished product many had been broken in the process.

Articulation:

Shadowboy

In addition to the previous project I created a story called the Shadowboy. This was meant as another exploration into anthropomorphism. This time with a short story about a scarecrow that curses a small boy to never be able to go into daylight and has to stay locked up in a barn.

During one of my tutorials I was encouraged to pursue the imagery of the shadows as part experimentation to create a more dimensional visual.

Process

Research

Shadowplay

I started by cutting out pieces of paper to recreate some of the key scenes. Then I photographed them using a torch to direct the shadows, hopefully contextualising the narrative.

More examples

Outcome

In conclusion, this is a story that I would like to explore at a later date. There is potential for this to development and having taken the feedback on board I would like to develop this further into a more finished project.

Critical Analysis

Within the exercises I have attempted to draw upon the experimenting utilising storyboards as a means of exploration and structuralism with the subject matter. Identifying this contemporary setting I incorporated my experimentation into the final composition. Overall the final outcome was rewarding. The project pushed my limits of illustration with a medium that isn’t forgiving and would benefit from more work. The blocking and shading required an attention to detail to the overall composition.