Tutorial No. 1

Following my first tutorial of the new term with Jules I feel more confident to make a leap forward with the project. I was reminded of research tools and processes available to me that I had forgotten over my placement year and it has made me more confident that I can break this project into manageable tasks and hopefully gather momentum going forward.

I had the opportunity to describe the unusual exhibition I had visited in Guernsey whereby the curators had faced an unusual challenging building an exhibition which felt complete with only one physical painting by the artist (Renoir). The original piece was one done during Renoir’s time in Guernsey and the exhibition successfully created a narrative on Renoir’s life, his visit to Guernsey and how his art was affected by his stay on the island.

Fig 1.  Renoir, Rochers de Guernsey avec personnages. Photo, my own. Sept 2020.

The ways in which they used sound, large projectors and moving image created an intense experiential journey for the audience upon entering the exhibition space. After being surrounded by lights and colour moving through to the part of the exhibition where the painting was hung felt somewhat less tantalizing than the entrance space. Nevertheless the way the curators had experimented with different exhibiting tools to made this exhibition exciting to me.

Subsequently in the tutorial we spoke about some exhibitions that are currently open and briefly discussed how the experience of the exhibition has shifted as part of the restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It has motivated me to explore the tools of AI and VR and how they could be repurposed in a fashion communication context to enhance the ways in which we interact with exhibitions.