We do not want excessive regulations to hamper your use of the lab for carrying out excellent psychological research and study – however we do have a few rules which must be followed to ensure the lab remains a safe and comfortable environment for us all to use. In using the lab you agree to abide by the following:
- Fire: if you hear a fire alarm, leave calmly and head for the assembly point which is in front of Mayfield House. Toby Leyton is the fire warden for the lab, and can be found in the technicians’ office.
- First aid: If you need first aid please speak to one of the technicians in the lab. They will call the emergency number (2222) to summon a first-aider. If no technicians are about and no university phone is to hand please call 01273 642222 from a mobile and you’ll be patched through to someone who will dispatch the nearest first aider to your location.
- Food and drink in the lab: Food must not be consumed anywhere in the lab. If you want to eat, there is a sofa right outside the lab for you to sit on and eat. You are only allowed to drink water in the lab – please be careful with this around the computers. If you are caught eating or drinking in the lab you may be asked to leave.
- Health and Safety: Every employee within the school has a responsibility to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and others who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work. Students should report, in the first instance, any matters relating to health, safety and welfare to the member of staff taking the lecture or to their personal tutor or supervisor if the matter relates to academic work activities. All staff should report matters relating to Health & Safety to their line manager (the Head of School or School Administrative Manager) in the first instance, to be reported to and followed up by Assistant Heads, Research Leads and other staff as necessary.
- Lone working/out of hours: If you are working on your own please familiarise yourself with the University’s lone working policy. If you require any assistance out of hours please bear in mind out of hours that the nearest staff are the caretakers, in Ringmer House.
- Opening hours: the lab is open whenever Mayfield House is open. Mayfield House is locked between 19:00 and 19:30 of an evening. If you need to use a computer after that time the library pool room is open 24 hours.
- Technicians: Please note the technicians’ office (M139) is at the back of the lab, on the left. Joe and Martina are the psychology technicians and they can help you with any psychology-related enquiries.