Lauren holding her Wales cap

Lauren’s “unforgettable” Wales hockey debut

A School of Sport and Service Management student won her first international cap for the Wales women’s hockey team in their recent European Championship victory over Turkey.

Lauren Roberts, a Sports Scholarship student in Physical Education, was called up to the senior team having received the ‘Goalkeeper of the Tournament’ award at the European Under-21s Championship.

Lauren recovered from a serious knee injury – which sidelined her for most of last season – to represent Wales.

Reflecting on her first cap, Lauren said: “It was an unforgettable moment. Going into the competition I was excited about the experience of being at a senior competition, but wasn’t expecting to play due to having limited experience in a senior environment.

Having the opportunity to go on in the last quarter of the game against Turkey is a moment I’ll never forget. The girls and management team have been so supportive during my development and transition into the senior setup.”

Lauren hopes the match against Turkey will be the first of many, with international training commencing again at the end of September.

Lauren standing with Leah and holding their caps

Lauren with Leah Wilkinson, Wales’ most capped player

She said: “I am keen to gain more exposure in senior competitions and develop my game understanding for this higher level. In addition to this, I will focus also on my chances to play for Wales under-23s. I hope my ability and attitude will allow me to continue being invited to senior camps, gaining valuable knowledge and experience.”

Describing her time at the University of Brighton as “amazing”, Lauren said that the University’s Sports Scholarship performance team had played a pivotal role in her rehabilitation from the injury. She added that she had felt pride at leading the University’s hockey team.

Within our hockey club I have had the privilege of captaining the first team this season, while winning the league and being promoted,” Lauren said. “I am now looking forward to being president this season and expanding the club.”

On her Physical Education degree, Lauren added: “My course has allowed me to develop skills in teaching and communication and try new activities.

My lecturers have been supportive in my hockey commitments and through my injuries these previous years.”

Lauren was also awarded the Davidson-O’Connor Scholarship this year. “Without the contribution of Dr Judith Davidson, I wouldn’t have been able to fund my international hockey pursuits,” said Lauren.

More information about Sport Brighton here: http://sport.brighton.ac.uk/