Following their recent visit to East Sussex College, PGCE and School Direct Physical Education students attended a one day conference that addressed the teaching of post-16 accredited PE courses.
During the conference students presented a 20 minute session to their peers with respect to an identified topic from the A-level syllabus. Topics included:
- The Olympic Games – blessing or curse?
- Bandura’s model of observational learning theory (observational learning)
- Violence and deviance in sport; Sport, sponsorship and the media
- Discrimination in sport
- Sport, Sponsorship and the Media
- Sportsmanship, gamesmanship,
- Performance enhancing products – reasons for, consequences of and solutions to the problem of drugs in sport
PGCE and School Direct PE course leader Dr Gary Stidder said: “The teaching of theoretical components within post-16 physical education courses is an essential requirement and expectation for all new qualified PE teachers.
“They need to have an understanding and also be able to teach A-level PE in both a practical and theoretical context.”