Personal Made Public // Going Global , The British Councill

I was lucky enough to attend the British Council conference, – Going Global 2017, in London. As well as having lots of fun creating live drawings, and having lots of free coffee, I also learnt a lot of new things about higher education globally. There where several things that really stood out to me, within the various talks we attended. Firstly it was interesting to see just how much education was presented as a business; of course I understand that the economic value of a student to the government is very important, for society to function, however I felt like there was just so much emphasis on the economic value of a student and practically no mention of the psychological welfare of students. I think this is important because with the growing competitiveness and added pressures we as students have to today to succeed, and obviously these pressures can often get in the way of achieving, thus limiting post graduate economic success. Especially in the talk we attended about Megacities it made me think how it is easy for students to get lost in the system. I was also interested in thinking about the negative impacts of mass modernisation and technological advances on ones creativity and sense of individuality. As I feel very strongly about the issues I just layed out I wanted to explore it further in my Personal made Public project. I set myself aims I wanted to explore in the project and things I wanted to address in my work.