Defining Microcosm and Macrocosm

Before researching more into the concept of a microcosm, I had no idea how much microcosms can link to philosophy. I discovered that it is probable that the initial concept of a microcosm was formulated by Plato. Plato explained the distinction between a Microcosm and ‘macrocosm’ , I initially found it quite difficult to get my head around Platos explanation of these two concepts, luckily I have several books on post socratic philosophy, and I constructed some illustrations to visually depict the distinction between the microcosm and macrocosm. Essentially The miocrocosm is an extended metaphor for humanity or society (the epirical world – the world we live in distinguished by the 4 senses) , and the Macrocosm is the concept of the ”greater world” , something outside the realms of empiricism. Thus the little world is a microcosm for the greater world (the macrocosm) . This concept links to the most well renowned  works of Plato – His analogy of the cave , in book 5 of the Republic, as the Cave was a Microcosm for society. This research spurred me on to look at different philisophocal view points of the macrocosm and the microcosm, and most of all led me onto the idea of looking at things with a wider perspective.