Character Writing

INT. KITCHEN. AFTERNOON
The setting sun fills the kitchen with an orange tint.
A girl with black hair aged around 19 (Maria) walks into the kitchen.
She puts her bag on the kitchen table and walks over to the sink.
She looks down into the sink. It is blocked to the point of overflowing.
MARIA
(sighs)
This is it Maria, you’ve taken this shit for too long now.
(beat)
You’re finally going to make a stand. You’re going to stand up for yourself because this has gone too far now. I mean, how difficult is it to unblock a sink? It’s not rocket science. That bitch Sasha has got away with this too long now… It is getting out of hand.
Maria takes another breath while looming over the disgusting sink.
MARIA
It is now or never Maria… She will never learn otherwise…
Maria looks over to her right where a tonne of used plates and pans have been left out, still covered in different sauces and bits of food.
MARIA
Got to talk to Henry about actually doing his bloody washing up as well, it’s absolutely disgusting.
(sighs)
Can’t wait until I move out from this Hellhole.
Maria turns around to pick up her bag from the table and go to her room.
She turns to see Sasha and Henry sat on the sofa on the other side of the kitchen who have heard everything Maria had just said to herself.
They stare at Maria.
Maria stares back at them.
This task was to write the opening page of a script introducing a character. On this page I created the character of Maria and her annoyance at her flatmates. Growing up my dad (who writes books) would tell me about how he came up with his stories and he told me that the easiest thing to do is to get ideas by places and people around you which is what this character is. I based Maria off of one of my flatmates and exaggerated her feelings towards dirty dishes being left out in the sink. I took a person I knew and a situation that is quite common in our kitchen and used it to write a character and a dilemma which would easily help with writing the rest of the characters and the rest of the story.