Jillian Roberts

Jillian Roberts

Jillian Roberts’ work is an art of circumnavigations, of passes and returns. Through video and collage she plays with different modes of storytelling to explore concepts surrounding memory to create poetic worlds.
The images Jillian creates become almost obsessive, passing from one medium to another, from video to image, and again from the paper to the three-dimensional space. Roberts’ takes inspiration from postcards as she feels that they are an inexhaustible repository of forgotten stories and unexpected coincidences.
Since graduating from Brighton University in 2013 and the Royal College of Art in 2015 she has taken part in several group and solo exhibitions in England and abroad. She currently  lives and works between London and Lisbon. In 2018 Jillian co-founded Lisboa Social Press, an independent space for hands-on and creative workshops, based in the heart of Lisbon and specialising in Fine Art Printmaking.

Website: jillianroberts.co.uk
Instagram: @lisboasocialpress

Jillian roberts at Lisboa Social Press

Something that Brighton University enabled was for me to have the confidence to apply to the Royal College of Art. During my time in the Brighton Printmaking BA and at the RCA I started exhibiting locally and internationally. My graduating piece ‘24 minutes’ toured New Zealand and Australia as part of 2013’s International Mobile Innovation Screening.

‘24 Minutes’ 2013 BA Printmaking Graduate Show

Whilst studying I got experience in various art institutions, when I did a collaborative exhibition in Southwark Park Galleries I got the position of gallery invigilator.

Post graduation I became the Retail and Event Coordinator at the Fashion and Textile Museum before moving and establishing a creative space in Portugal. Lisboa Social Press specialises in hands-on creative workshops and alongside printmaking it now facilitates book clubs, film nights and other artistic happenings including bookbinding and analogue photography courses with other local practitioners.

‘Grandfather Night’ 2019

Presently I continue to create my own films alongside developing Lisboa Social Press with fellow Artist Printmaker Tom Maryniak. We are currently curating a residency programme to give artists the opportunity to reflect, research, present and produce outcomes that respond to Portugal’s capital.

‘10 Days in Paris’ 2019

Sound on videos by Benjamin Yates Small Hours Music