Maze of Inlets

Sherrie-Leigh Jones

Sherrie-Leigh Jones explores imaginary landscapes through a process of collaging her own photographs, paintings, found imagery and printmaking techniques to create limited edition prints and originals. Drawing inspiration from romanticism, the sublime, science fiction and nature, her work transcends past, future and present, offering a means of escapism. She is interested in creating a journey through vast, imagined landscapes, exploring the uncanny often found in abandoned buildings, endless woodlands and places of natural phenomena and wonder. Sherrie’s recent work has been inspired by traditional Japanese and Chinese landscape paintings and prints.
Sherrie depicts landscapes that explore the ideas of time travel, ever changing seasons and environments, juxtaposing the real and fantastical. Lush vegetation and mountainous formations exist to remodel previous environments. Sherrie graduated from BA Fine Art Printmaking at Brighton University in 2012

Website: sherrieleighjones.com
Twitter: @sherrieljones
Instagram:@Sherrieleighjonesart

From my degree show I was invited to collaborate with fashion label, To Be Adored (tba) for their SS13 collection, who had seen my work at the degree show. I also got invited to exhibit at a museum and art gallery by a curator who saw my work in the degree show, so it’s worth presenting your work well as you never know who might look around. After graduating, I joined a screenprint studio in Portslade and printed there for quite a while, working on new limited edition prints on paper, as a lot of my work for my degree show was one off prints on wood. Sadly the studio closed, so I joined North Star Print Studio in Brighton and continued to print there whilst exhibiting with galleries and at art fairs and also entering open calls.

Sherrie-Leigh Jones Miniature Mountains
Miniature Mountains

A few years after graduating, I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne and joined Northern Print Studio. I had just received a Print Futures Award (open to anyone aged 18-30 working in/wanting to join or continue their studies in the print industry) so I started experimenting with photo etching in my work whilst also printing at my home studio. I stayed in Newcastle for a few years before moving back to Brighton last summer and am planning to get back to screenprinting soon. Although visually my work has changed quite a bit since I graduated, I still have the same overriding themes and interests for my work and continue to explore the idea of imaginary landscapes. I like to travel for inspiration/research and to gather images to use in my work, which is something I would like to do more of.

Sherrie-Leigh Jones Emerald Mount
Emerald Mount

I have exhibited at Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair a couple of times and last year I was invited to be a part of Woolwich Contemporary Editions, to produce accessible limited edition works exclusive to the Woolwich Contemporary brand which are available online and through a series of touring exhibitions. The open call for this year’s Woolwich Print Fair is now open, deadline 30th June. I continue to exhibit my work and am currently showing in ‘Print & Editions’ at Kobi & Teal gallery in Somerset until 29th June and I have a solo show planned for this summer at Ollie Quinn, Brighton – 9th August private view, everyone welcome!