My experience of studying Pharmacy at Brighton

Lauren Redwood, 4th year Pharmacy MPharm, takes time out from her exams to share her experience of studying here.Lauren Redwood, Pharmacy MPharm

“I absolutely loved Brighton when I visited on an open day, it stood out compared to the rest as a university that taught a forward-thinking version of a pharmacy course with an integrated, clinical approach that many other courses did not offer.

I really enjoyed my yearly placements (both community and hospital) as they helped me put my learning into clinical practice. I have done placements in local community pharmacies, the Leaf Hospital in Eastbourne, Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath and Croydon University Hospital in Croydon (1 week). These were all compulsory placements organised by the university. These placements all had time set aside to consult with patients as well as other tasks such as Medicines Reconciliation.

I also completed an extra placement offered by the university at Lewes Prison in which I got to shadow the pharmacy team when they were giving out medication to the inmates. This felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity and is one of my highlights of the course.

On every placement we were required to use what we had learnt in lectures when counselling patients or working on patient cases. The lectures set us up extremely well in order to be able to thrive on placement.

It is a great course with a huge variety of content. In particular I would recommend the course for its final year project research options. The university is involved in various fields of research which we get stuck into in final year. There is a huge potential to do a project that will make a clinically significant finding.  I found my final year project both the most interesting and most challenging part of the course. Conducting research is a challenge in itself but an extremely rewarding one when it all works out. Additionally, I found one of my 4th year module selections (Global Health) to be extremely interesting and inspiring. This module broadened my horizon’s of the potential roles of a pharmacist.

I feel like the course has set me up extremely well for the future. I have got my pre-registration place in the hospital sector and plan to continue working in this sector hopefully later specialising in paediatrics.

Through integrated teaching and amazing resources such as the SimMan, the university is a great place in which to consider studying Pharmacy.”