A range of useful documents, videos and websites for Early Years practitioners
Early Years Education PGCert with EYTS
Graduate Employment Based Route to Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) with PG Cert (Level 7 credits)
Early Childhood Education and Care BA(Hons)
Full time (3 years)
Early Childhood Practice BA(Hons)
Part time (4 years)
EARLY YEARS ORGANISATIONS
- Early Education – The British association for Early Years Education offer support to all early childhood education practitioners
- TACTYC promotes and advocates the highest quality professional development for all early years educators in order to enhance the educational well-being of the youngest children. They have also published their response to OFSTED’s proposed changes to the Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Inspection Framework and Handbook 2020 and question Ofsted’s focus on the approach to early reading exclusively through phonics.
- EYE- Early Years Educator is a website for early years professionals looking for best practice advice, activity ideas and research-led features. It is designed to be user friendly, with articles labelled by EYFS theme, to help you quickly and easily find the information you need.
- The Early Years Alliance offer information and advice, run training and aim to influence policy and practice in Early Years provision.
- The Foundation Years website provides the latest news, policy and resources for Early Years professionals.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
There are further links to planning resources on the Primary Resources tab.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Sue Cowley gives advice on how to build better behaviour in the Early Years.
- Pikler Approach
- PLEYS – professional love and attachment in Early Years
- Growing an emotional brain
Speech, language and communication resources
Phased learning of Synthetic Phonics
Speech, language and communication resources
Resources to promote children’s literacy
- Sue Cowley explains how to encourage mark making in the Early Years.
- Sue Cowley explains how to set expectations when approaching Early Years writing.
- National Literacy Trust
- Early Writing (Early Education)
- The road to reading (Early Education)
Resources to promote children’s maths
- Exploring maths in early years
- Maths is Everywhere (Early Education)
- The importance of the CPA approach to teaching maths
Resources to promote Understanding the World
- Technology in the early years – This resource includes advice and tips for parents on how to use technology with their child in the early years as well as videos to help early years practitioners plan for using digital technology effectively.
Resources to promote Expressive Arts and Design
Sustained Shared Thinking
- High Scope – the development of self through interactions between adult and baby
- Linking learning – Professor Iram Siraj talks about why language development is the most important aspect of development in the early years
- Alison Gopnik: What do babies think?
- Foundation Years: Supporting babies through play
- Patricia Kuhl – the linguistic genius of babies
FRAMEWORK AND ASSESSMENT
Reception Baseline Assessment
In response to the 2017 primary assessment consultation, the government announced plans to introduce a statutory reception baseline assessment (RBA) in autumn 2020. Due to the challenging circumstances faced by schools in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, statutory introduction of the RBA has been postponed to Autumn 2021. Instead, schools have the opportunity to sign up to the RBA Early Adopter year in order to familiarise themselves with assessment materials before the RBA becomes statutory. Information about the new Reception Baseline Assessment can be found on the government website.
Foundation Years have provided links to all the published key documents including consultation summaries and responses, comparison tables to show key changes and the Early Adopter framework. They also have a webinar which covers:
- EYFS reforms context and update
- Scope of the consultation
- Overview of the proposed changes
- Supporting the workforce and implementation
- Pilot findings: understanding and using the revised ELGs
- Background to the reception baseline assessment
- Assessment development process
- Pilot feedback
- What happens next?
Development Matters in EYFS
The EYFS progress check at age two
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
Data Protection (GDPR)
- Early Years Alliance provides an introduction to what early years settings, nurseries and childminders must do to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into effect in May 2018.
Early Years Qualifications
Early Years Pupil Premium
- Early Years Pupil Premium guidance from Foundation Years.
Health and Safety
Parents, Early Years and Learning
- PEAL have written a programme to support practitioners in developing
work to engage parents in their children’s learning
Working with parents
POLICIES AND PRACTICE
Prevent Duty and Fundamental British Values
E-safety for young children
- ThinkUKnow – Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) for children
- Online Early Years safety toolkit
Eat Better, Start Better
Nursery Milk Scheme
Organisational sample policies
Early Years Inspection Handbook
Inspecting Safeguarding in Early Years
- British Association for Early Childhood Education
- Association for Professional Development in Early Years (TACTYC)
- Harvard University
We have no links with the following organisations for commerical gain.
Future Learn – range of course related to childhood and management