0

Location Scouting

Donnybrook Quarter – East London

This is a housing complex where every building is painted white, and is laid out in a uniform structure. When immersed in the pathways that lead you around this block of flats, you are completely enveloped by white. Beautifully shapes are created when you glance up above, allowing for great displays of light. On the other hand, the existence of the exact design for every single building can also evoke a coldness and sense of detachment which could be interesting to draw on.

Watts Memorial, Postman’s Park – East London

The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice commemorates ordinary people who died saving the lives of others, and who might otherwise have been forgotten. The oldest tablet was introduced on July 30 1900 with the latest being unveiled on July 11 2009. Each tile represents a person who showed great courage and put the lives of others ahead of their own. These acts of bravery could make this a great location to utilise for my film.

St. Dunstan in the East – East London

Originally a Church of England parish church, that sat halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London, it was largely destroyed during the World War II. The stunning ruins are now a public garden. The overall aesthetic of beautiful architecture and structure along with its religious roots would make it an incredible backdrop to feature in the film.

Hampstead Heath Hill Garden and Pergola – North London

Hidden away deep within Hampstead Heath, this structure is visually stunning and evokes a strong sense of wonder that leaves you in absolute awe of your surroundings. With spectacular views, lines, shapes, and architecture, the structure includes some striking and visually dynamic elements that will make some amazing imagery in the film.

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir – North-West London

Also commonly known as Neasden Temple, this Hindu temple was built solely using traditional methods and materials. It has been described as Britain’s first ever authentic Hindu temple. The building itself offers up some of the most breath-taking architecture I have ever seen. The intricacies and the sheer details present in this structure are a true representation of grandeur. It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing buildings I have ever seen – it is simply spectacular. It would be amazing to include this as a shooting location for the film.

Wat Buddhapadipa – South-West London

The first Thai Buddhist Temple to be built in the United Kingdom. The striking bright white exterior is juxtaposed with the red and gold accents of the roof and decorations of the frames of the windows and doors, contrasting beautifully to create a truly visually stunning structure. At first glance I was absolutely floored at the beauty of this temple and immediately knew that it had to be included in my work. With its unique design, pure artistry, and the fact that it’s a religious temple, means it will produce incredibly striking visuals that will immediately captivate the audience’s attention.

The Peace Pagoda, Battersea Park – South London

A Buddhist stupa, a monument, built to inspire peace and promote harmony amongst all people. A symbol of unity, this structure is a stellar example of the way my work aims to promote an overall sense of community and unite people to remember. It offers an interesting juxtaposition to the focus of my work being on lies, deceit, and manipulation. Monuments of this nature a representation of hope – inspiring us to dream of a better world.

The Hogarth Staircase, St Bart’s Hospital Museum – East London

On the walls of the staircase are two murals painted by William Hogarth, ‘The Pool of Bethesda’ (1736) and ‘The Good Samaritan’ (1737). The hospital’s museum displays the development of medical care over time and explains the history of the hospital. ‘The Pool of Bethesda’ presents the scene of Christ curing the sick. These combined elements of faith from the inclusion of Christ and the fact that scientific study is practised in this building link incredibly well to the research I have completed that has led me to this point, making it a great potential location for filming.

Chapel of St. Peter & St. Paul, Old Royal Naval College – South-East London

This chapel is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul due to their connection with the water and the sea. Spectacular scenery and architecture is present inside this building, in addition to a beautifully painted mural that stands front and centre of the chapel. The stunning cream and blue colours of the decoration of the ceiling are so incredibly captivating that work to accent the solitary mural, presenting the mural as the focal point of the space.

The Painted Hall, Old Royal Naval College – South-East London

I was in absolute rapture when I entered this space, the artistry and imagery were breath-taking, and given the opportunity to observe the paintings so up-close whilst the building was under restoration was simply spectacular. The intricate details I was able to see that I would only be able to imagine if I were simply glancing up at from the ground made it such an amazing experience. The tour also enabled me to acquire more information regarding the murals and see the journey of the imagery which made it so much more interesting.  From the stunning views looking up to the vestibule ceiling, with the beautifully contrasting gold and blue colours present to the grandeur and mind-blowing two large-scale paintings, which cover 400-square-feet, work to fully encapsulate the audience, evoking a strong feeling of wonder and awe, thus making this an amazing location that would provide stunning visuals in the film.

Sagrada Família, Barcelona

An unfinished Roman Catholic church, designed by the ingenious visionary, Antoni Gaudí. After taking over from architect Francisco de Paula del Villar, Gaudí transformed the project with his unique architectural and engineering style, joining elements of Gothic and Art Nouveau styles to create, arguably, one of the most beautifully crafted buildings in the world.  art critic Rainer Zerbst said “it is probably impossible to find a church building anything like it in the entire history of art”, and Paul Goldberger describes it as “the most extraordinary personal interpretation of Gothic architecture since the Middle Ages”. After admiring the work of Gaudí and, in particular, the Sagrada Família, finally seeing it in real life left me thinking one thing: wow.

33 Montagu Square, Marylebone – Central London

Scot Young, an associate of Berezovsky, whom he helped launder money, fell to his death in December 2014, being impaled on railings after falling from the fourth-floor window of this address. A coroner concluded that there was insufficient evidence that could concretely rule it a suicide, making it one of the many controversial and suspicious deaths surrounding Russian-linked UK deaths. This spot marks a source of corruption and conspiracy, making it an incredibly intriguing potential location to feature in the film.

St. Mary’s Church, East Somerton – Norfolk

Located down a track inside the grounds of Burnley Hall lies the ruins of the Church of Saint Mary. Concealed by overgrown nature leads the ruins to be quite difficult to notice unless you know exactly where to find it. The remains of the 15th century perpendicular church, are substantial, with the structure providing minimal lighting to encroach upon the space, but when it does, the result is simply stunning.  With the rich history that this location holds, paired with the beautiful shapes and overall remarkable presence of the structure will serve to create amazing imagery.

Going forward, given the number of locations I have scouted as potential sites to use in my film, I am going to have to eliminate quite a few to ensure that there is a strong, cohesive aesthetic and link established between all the locations I use. This will ensure maximum impact to the audience. Thus, I have decided to exclude the following locations from any further shoots: 1) Donnybrook Quarter. This is purely based on the fact that it holds the least relevance to that of my deeper subject matter. The complex itself would create some beautiful imagery, but the sole fact that it’s white is too loosely related to my chosen topic. 2) Watts Memorial, Postman’s Park. Although the site holds beautiful historical value and remembers great acts committed by ordinary people, the aesthetic is not synonymous with the rest of the locations I looked at. 3) BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir and 4) Wat Buddhapadipa. Since these are both places of worship, I had to seek permission from the temples in order to shoot there. Sadly, I was not granted permission to film, which is so unfortunate as I think the spaces would’ve created some truly stunning visuals that would’ve been incredibly captivating to the audience. 5) The Peace Pagoda, Battersea Park. I felt that this structure didn’t have that extra element of “grandeur” that some of the other locations exhibit which is vital in order to achieve maximum impact upon creating strong and visually dynamic visuals. 6) The Hogarth Staircase, St Bart’s Hospital Museum. Although the subject matter ties in well with my Science vs. Faith focus, getting permission to film in this location was unfortunately not possible. However, there are other locations I have scouted that also relate to the Science vs. Faith theme, so it is not a complete loss. 7) 33 Montagu Square, Marylebone. Although it was the story behind this location that attracted me to it so much, this location’s lack of that “grandeur” element is a main factor in my decision to no longer using this location for further shoots. Also, it being on the corner of a busy Central London road would’ve proved difficult to achieve a sense of isolation and solidarity that I wish to illustrate in the film.

Natasha Perkin