0

Influential Women & My Final Piece Idea

My idea for my final piece is to create a paper book and utilise laser cutting to read out different symbols related to gender and inspirational quotes from various inspirational women- all to promote intersectional feminism.

With symbols such as trans, femme, non-binary, and androgyne being used, I think that this book will work to educate people in LGBTQ and gender.

Image result for gender symbols

Inspirational Quotes

Audre Lorde was a writer, feminist, womanist, and civil rights activist. As a poet she is known for her profound emotional expression and her anger and outrage at civil and social injustices she observed. Her work focused on civil rights, feminism, and the exploration of black female identity.

“I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.”

“There is no such thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live single-issue lives.”

Kimberle Williams Crenshaw is an American civil rights advocate and a professor at the UCLA School of Law and Columbia Law School. As a professor, she specialises in race and gender issues. She is known for the introduction and development of intersectional theory. Intersectionality is a methodology of studying “the relationships among multiple dimensions and modalities of social relationships and subject formations” (McCall 2005).

“If we aren’t intersectional, some of us, the most vulnerable, are going to fall through the cracks.”

“When feminism does not explicitly oppose racism, and when antiracism does not incorporate opposition to particularly, race and gender, politics often end up being antagonistic to each other and both interests lose.”

Zooey Descahnel is an American actress and singer-songwriter.

“I’m just being myself… We can’t be feminine and be feminists and be successful? I want to be a fucking feminist and wear a fucking Peter Pan collar. So fucking what?”

RuPaul is an American drag queen, actor, television personality and recording artist. RuPaul has hosted and produced the show RuPaul’s Drag Race since 2009, for which he won an Emmy for in 2016.

“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna somebody else? Can I get an amen in here?”

All of these people have different platforms and forms of how they express their feminism and their goals to achieve equality and unity, but what they share is their powerful message to their audience.

Natasha Perkin