0

The Origin

The “pussyhat” symbol derives from one of the many heinous, misogynistic, sexist things the new President of the United States, Donald Trump has said: “Grab them by the pussy”. When I heard it I literally could not believe my ears, it’s so disgusting and disrespectful and insanely derogatory. In response to this inhumane comment, women decided to use the pussy to “grab back” making a statement to Trump that he could not abuse women ever and that women would fight his defilement and misogyny by using his own words against him. On the surface, yes, it sounds rather clever and effective in theory but when you add the “pussyhats” as a physical manifestation it has conjured up a few problems that fail to project what they were striving for. Not only have these words left Trump’s lips but now that he is President not only has he banned Muslims from entering the country but has just recently lifted the Federal protections for transgender students’ bathroom use. I honestly don’t understand how this tyrant is in power of anything let alone an entire country. It seriously blows my mind. This all boils down to rights – human rights and how transgender people are in fact people and all have the right to be protected and to use whichever bathroom they so identify with. This infuriates me to no end, that this single individual has only been in power for just over a month and has already set the country and the world back decades. Excluding select ‘groups’ and ‘types’ of people, categorizing them, profiling them, is ridiculous and America stands to represent diversity as a country and freedom and liberty and it’s ‘leader’ is not acknowledging this in any way, shape, or form.

Natasha Perkin