0

Solange – Don’t Touch My Hair

“Don’t touch my hair, when it’s the feelings I wear. Don’t touch my soul, when it’s the rhythm I know.” This track on Solange’s incredible new album A Seat at the Table, empowers black women and tells them to embrace their natural beauty – and their natural hair. “Don’t touch my crown, they say the vision I’ve found.” Everyone has their own personal style and the feeling of being intimidated by other people’s creative expression through their physical appearance and also intimidating other people with it is a constant fear for people who are not completely confident and comfortable with themselves and the way they express themselves. To find value and self worth is the most imperative and empowering thing you can do, especially in a woman, and definitely in a black woman in today’s society. But the way in which Solange embodies this attribute with such confidence, by wearing their hair woven in braids that go past their waists, or in an amazing afro, she fully leads by example of a carefree attitude and openly shows that she enjoys this display of creative expression simply done through the evolving nature of hairstyles. “They don’t understand what it means to me. Where we chose to go, where we’ve been to know.” Now hair has been embraced and style has been presented to the world don’t jus think that you can touch it? It has been a constant hindrance for my black friends who constantly have people coming up them asking to touch their hair. Would you do that with a white person’s hair? Their hair is exactly that their hair and they like anyone else has control over it. “You know this hair is my shit, rode the ride, I gave it time. But this here is mine.” Ultimately, this song is about self-acceptance, empowerment, and that you, as a black woman deserve to be loved.

Natasha Perkin