Over the past couple of days, I have been converting my sketchbooks into digital sketchbooks. This has involved me taking a picture of every single page and putting them into an InDesign document. I have never used InDesign so this was a process that has been incredibly time consuming and slightly cumbersome. I have had to quickly teach myself InDesign through a series of Youtube tutorials but have still struggled to get to grips with the software. One thing that I am struggling with is how to link photos. I need to figure out whether there is a way you can link multiple photos at the same time or whether I am going to have to individually link all 212 photos which are currently in that document.
I wanted to make the piece feel more fun so I started to change the backgrounds of the film.
Unfortunately, the file is too big to upload onto here, however, you can see it on Vimeo.
I have found all my parent’s old camera and have decided to try and work with them. As I have been looking at different ways to present my films I thought this might be a fun place to start.
I like the idea that if I put them all into a film you could see the technology changing over the years and so it would tie in nicely with my old 16mm footage combined with new ways of editing.
This was my first attempt.
Before I went home my plan was to create more films, however, this has obviously not been possible as I do not have a 16mm projector.
It has taken me a long time to get back into the creative process. I am sure I am not alone when I say that the change in environment and having to try and work around your family combined with the lack of equipment has been really difficult. It is obivously a pretty unsettling time which is very anxiety-inducing and therefor my pace has slowed down as I take things day by day.
I will, of course, carry on to the best of my ability however my motivation and confidenece has been knocked as I try to figure out the new normal.
All of my projection tests and final outcomes can be found on my Vimeo account here –
Here is the final outcome for my final show test –
I had originally thought that I would not need to make any more films and that that part of the project was over. However, it has become clear from presenting that the project would be stronger if I had a wider range of films to choose from. It will also strengthen my portfolio. I am clear on how to make these films and therefore am going to leave this part of the project to the easter break. I hope to have at least 10 films by the end of the project.
After looking at Sarah Sze work I really wanted to try and project onto different materials get a more tactile feel to the piece –
The results worked well however I became more intrigued about the shadows. Obviously, shadows are becoming more of a prominent feature within my work. Part of this is due to the fact that shadows evoke memory and I think that a lot of the work I do within the film is about negative space and obviously a shadow is a negative space so I can see the huge parallel there.
One projection that stood out for me was when I layered translucent material and it created this strange multilayered projection that you could walk around. To me, it felt as though it was a stain glass window, especially when you were from a lower position looking up to it. This technique definitely needs to be looked into further
Interestingly when I projected onto a broken mirror a stain glass feeling was felt again. I need to figure out whether it is the film or the way of projecting that it is giving that effect of whether it is a combination of the two.
When I was thinking about the white background I decided to project on to it. When I first projected it felt as though the film has just be slapped on to the back screen and it needed something more. I noticed that when I was fiddling around with the monitors that my shadow became an interesting part within the piece. It felt as though someone was watching me watch the display. This was of course quite intimidating which I felt worked very well with my piece. I am going to look into this further, the shadow projection that I displayed was done very quickly and was definitely just a test piece. I want to go back and record this more professionally.
Testing out silhouettes and thinking about others’ shadow and who I could film.
I want them to look as normal as possible like the everyday public – but then also has a very striking silhouette – so maybe having tight clothes or obvious hairstyles.
This was the final result –
I hired 6 monitors and experimented with placing them in different positions, this is explained in detail in my sketchbook. The main thing that I did learn was that it was very important to not have the screens flat. They felt confrontational and awkward. Although I aim to make people feel awkward this felt like it was too obvious and actually just not thought through. The next thing that I learnt was that it was important to have different levels. When all the screens where on one level it again felt flat and as if it did not have that much range. The most important thing that I learnt was that the white background felt stark in comparison to the rest of the piece. This is a very good thing to realise at this stage as it is clear for the final show that I will need to create a background for the piece. The background colours are a vibrant version of the colour scheme used within my films. I decided to make the colours vibrant as a nod to the Bauhaus Ballet, it also catches people’s eye which in a room with a lot of other peoples work is very important.
This is my thought process of moving the monitors around –