Home Office: a stroke is not “exceptional circumstances”

Home office: a stroke is not ‘’exceptional circumstances’’ is a blog written by Conor James McKinney on 20th October 2017. I found this blog very interesting so I further explored it, and the reasons behind the decisions made.

This blog is about a family of four, mum, dad, and 2 children living in the UK. Where the children are 7 and 10 year old. The mum acts as a carer for both the children and her partner who has suffered from a stroke resulting in weakness to his upper and lower limbs, severe expressive language difficulties and post-stroke epilepsy that leads to up three seizures a day of 30 minute durations. The father and two children are British citizens, whereas the mum is a Philippine and is required to return back home to renew her visa every so often. This results in endless issues and anxiety for the family and they will not be able to run a day to day life without the support if their mother by their side.

He must look after his children without their Philippine national mother because these do not constitute “exceptional circumstances”. This has been a statement in the eyes of the home office. How can anybody see this as a simple issue? And allow for someone to suffer both physically and mentally by threatening to take away from them their only source of support.

Though Ms Waterman has over stayed and has entered on a visit visa, being in such circumstance should be an exception with no doubt, as having to leave the country and apply from abroad is not a very realistic option giving that her partner is in the state the he is in and her kids are still at school and need a guardian to be on top on their studies, meetings at school, doctors’ appointments and preparing their meals for them.

Ms Waterman’s representative, Christopher Dias of Dias Solicitors, passed on the message to free movement of Ms Waterman’s British partner and his current health situation to outline his incapability’s and the support he must have on an ongoing basis, as for the home offices refusal to help indicate that this is a special circumstance in which Ms Waterman is urging for. Having outlined al crucial points, once again the application has been denied. This is outrageous, who can even conclude such outcome. Where the Human right in this situation, Ms Waterman are is practically the life machine for her family and there is yet so humanity in this whole terrible situation the poor family is in.

Mr Waterman was then told that she still has the option open to her to return to the Philippines and apply for the correct entry clearance. They also came up with the ridiculous conclusion of whilst she is away, he partner will care for himself as well as his two children. For someone who is incapable of feeding himself or even making up a sentence together, how has the home office concluded that he will care for himself and two other children? This is bizarre. Hurtful.

Medical professionals and therapists have also written to the home office, to show the seriousness in this matter and that there is no other way around it in hope that this will give the home office an extra push and it may knock some sense into their heads. This appeal has been further reported to the guardian in hope that better news will report once the appeal is concluded.

Having carried out further research. We can finally see that Simon Waterman’s wife has at last been granted a visa to stay in the UK. Though this is such a relief and it has made the whole family, internal and external super happy, the pain and sorrow that the family had to experience from the home office is certainly not acceptable. Having put the family through such situation, it has mentally fractured the family and has defiantly not contributed to making Mr Simon Waterman any better in his given condition.

Having read and analysed this blog, I was put through many different emotions, varying from angry, to sadness and shock. Though I understand that human rights are mentioned but not always followed, but I still thought that the world had some sort of heart or kindness, but this has proven otherwise to me. I understand that state sovereignty plays a huge role in such situations as it is up to each individual country whether they want to follow through with something like this, but I still find it hard to digest the cruelty that surrounds us. As much as it hurt to read and analyse this, but it has also by far been one of my favourite blogs, hence why I have chosen it. Many aspects have come into it all at once and I enjoyed the research part of it where I was able to find similar blogs about different scenarios which have been fairly similar in situation. I just sincerely hope that situations like this are dealt with by beautiful souls, who do not wish to destroy, but rescue a family’s life.

I have used the actual website for reference to help me write this blog, as well as the guardian where I was able to find out the full story of Ms Waterman being granted the visa to remain in the UK. As well as other links which I was able to find which had a similar story to this family.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/20/home-office-reverses-decision-stroke-victim-wife-leave-uk