‘THE ETERNAL ACTUAL’ PHOTO SERIES

This photo series was to do with my mum’s ‘safe space’. There are very different contrasting aspects, which could change the viewer’s perception of what makes them think that this is actually a ‘safe space’ photo series. However; when evaluating with my mum after, she explained how she suffers from mental health herself, so when she is imagining her ‘safe space’ she wants to feel powerful and strong, hence why she imagined herself as Cleopatra. Furthermore, she wanted to feel empowered and not a victim, filled with enrichment.

As a result of this, I think this is one of my strongest series, because I cover all aspects of her space by juxtaposing the elements together. I wanted the red velvet images to have a soft mist tone edit to create a sense of softness, yet contrast this with the bright red velvet and strong gold opulence elements. The dark background images, I consider to have two different meanings. Although, to some people the options could be endless because it is due down to their own perception. My first viewpoint, is the images with the all red styling, I wanted to portray strong body language that emits wanting to feel safe, however feeling alone in a dark void. In addition, to this, the images with the gold, satin material covering her head also emit a feeling that she wants to cover up from the world, yet has a daring and strong aura. On the contrary, the images where she is in the maroon velvet suit, I think create a strong feeling that she is ready to stand up and feel powerful again.