WEEK 7: PRIVACY AND THE DIGITAL HUMAN

On Monday the 18th March it was our group’s turn to present about ‘privacy and the digital human’. Our group included Ellie, Jess, Alex and I. We set off the group project two weeks ago and met up to discuss who should do what so we covered everything in the module reader, after this we went away and worked on our own slides before coming together this morning to check it and go over it with practices before leading the seminar.

I was in control of defining ‘privacy’ and the ‘digital human’. I found defining ‘privacy’ a lot easier as it is easily written out online. However, the digital human is a concept that is forever changing and is hard to shorten down into one slide to explain quickly, luckily, BBC 4 has an ongoing series on this exact topic where they upload weekly audio clips of different aspects of the digital human. I used the sector called ‘bliss’ where Aleks Krotoski asks if there are some things we are better off not knowing. Matthew believes in Known Unknowns as people have a false sense of knowledge about certain topics that they search even though this is not always true. I personally have Google searched facts about things online and without a second thought I believe word for word exactly what I read. This has a lot of underlying issues as we make political decisions.

I found the group project fun as it helped me to learn a lot about my own privacy online and how I need to adapt it to be safer in today’s digital world.

Bibliography

Solove, D. (2010). Understanding privacy. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.

Hindle S. 2003, “Careless about privacy”, Computers & Security, vol.22, no.4, p284-288