Maths

An experience to remember

Kayleigh Potton tells us about her experience of studying maths at University of Brighton. She graduated from Mathematics BSc(Hons) this year.

kaleigh pottonStudying maths at Brighton has been an experience to remember. I have been given so many opportunities that as well as having a degree, I will leave having learnt so much more.

In my time here I have been PASS Leader, a PASS ambassador, a student ambassador, the Mathematics Society Social Secretary. I have grown so much as a person over the past three years because of these opportunities. I’ve developed organisational skills; the way I interact with different people; my management skills when being a PASS ambassador; and my confidence has hugely increased. I could not be more grateful for the opportunities the university has given me.

The course is very integrated because our classes are about 50 rather than 200. We had quite a lot of group coursework in the first year, so I got to speak to everyone on my course. The Brighton Uni Mathematics Society meant that I could get to know my classmates outside of an academic environment too. It’s such a friendly course in terms of the students but also the lectures are fantastic. They are happy to help us any time of the day. They know us all on a first name basis, what we’re capable of and they are so enthusiastic about us doing well. They are constantly asking us “is this too hard? Do you want me to speed things up? Slow things down?”, and are always catering for our needs. They have an open door policy and will help you at any time of the day.

Brighton is an amazing place to live as a student and I can honestly say, hand on my heart, that I have loved it here and I think anyone that wants to apply to this course will love it too.

Laura Ruby • June 25, 2015