Present Travels

I saw London, I saw France, thank goodness I saw no one’s underpants! As part of this study abroad program, we get to go on several field trips. We have already been to so many cool places.

Our first trip was a day in London. It was a little stressful for our first trip, but we made it out alive. It was great to see such a popular city. We saw things like Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben. I also found time to get tea at a super cute place, and ordered a yummy vanilla honeybush tea. I also walked along the Thames River in the evening, and saw the city again but with different lighting. It only got prettier as the night continued.

Our next adventure was East Sussex, where we saw Beachy Head and ate at a fantastic pub. I ordered a shepard’s pie and cheesy bread (both delicious!). It was extremely cold that day, but thankfully I was prepared with warm clothes. I’m slowly getting used to this weather, and am learning how to plan for it.

Our first overnight trip was to Bath and Stonehenge. There were lots of other tourists at both places. A lady was singing an opera song I recognized outside, I assume to get tips. I tried the water from the Roman Baths, which was weird, but I’m glad I did it. Stonehenge was really pretty and a calming place to be. It’s crazy to think there are places that are so old and that have such a history.

Most recently, we spent a weekend in Paris. This has definitely been my favorite trip. I adored Paris and was especially blown away by the Eiffel Tower. I climbed to the very top of the tower and got an incredible view of the city. I also went down into the Catacombs. It was creepy, but also interesting. In just one day, I’d been both above and below Paris, which was cool to think about. Our last day was spent at the Palace of Versailles and traveling back to Brighton.

Speaking of Brighton, I’ve also loved being here, though I sometimes forget that it’s part of my travels as well. My favorite thing I’ve done in Brighton so far has been going to the rock beach and pier. I am so excited that the weather will continue to get nicer as well. Hopefully I can start going to the beach on a regular basis!

Sometimes I forget to live in the moment. I think ahead, which can distract me from the present. Here, I have been more focused on trying to do that. So far, I think I’ve improved in this area. I feel like I was especially in the moment in Paris. I’m hopeful that I’ll continue to improve with the more that I travel, and the longer that I’m here. I also believe it will be something that I can take home with me when this experience is over.