“principles of subject selection: ”carry a notebook and during quiet times or as the thought occurs to you, compile a list of anything that really interests you”(Hurn and Jay, 1997:p.51)

“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and the blood, and take some time to reach the brain”.(Hurn and Jay, 1997:p.61)

“projecting my own feelings for the subject matter onto the images”.(Hurn and Jay, 1997:p.59)

For me, the most significant point that I was inspired by after reading this interview was the poetic statement: “best pictures, are those which go straight into the heart and the blood, and take some time to reach the brain.” In my opinion that is exactly what photography should be about and at the same time, I hope that my project will deliver such a feeling. Sometimes we look at random pictures and we instantly go “I love them”. It is all about the feeling because that is exactly what matters. Another point that I happened to be inspired by was the idea of projecting our own feelings for the subject matter onto the images. In my opinion as a photographer, you are meant to project your very own feeling into your images.  Personally,  I find my upcoming portfolio photos to be a metaphor of how I was literally feeling.

You never know whether your audience will see what you were hoping for them to see or even feel.  I also love the idea of carrying a notebook during quiet times and keeping the track of ideas or thoughts that occur to you, no matter if they are for photography or not. This nicely describes what I had done before I started working on my project. I am being positive when I say that ideas of mine will be brought to life.

Hurn, D. and Jay, B. (1997). On being a photographer. Portland, Oregon: Lenswork Publishing.