Burt Glinn

Giant mural of Lenin in front of the Park for Industry and Science.

Burt Glinn was a freelance photographer who was born in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia in the 1920s. During his life before his freelance photography career, he served in the US Army, studied literature at Harvard University and worked for Life Magazine. Glinn became an established member of Magnum in the early 1950s with his first publications being a colour series of the South Seas, Japan, Russia, Mexico and California. By the late 1950s, he was awarded the Matthew Brandy Award for Magazine Photographer of the Year from the University of Missouri. Alongside this, he has received numerous awards for his editorial and commercial photography, including the Best Book of Photographic Reporting from Abroad from the Overseas Press Club and the Best Print Ad of the Year from the Art Directors Club of New York. Glinn has served as president of the American Society of Media Photographers. I really like how Burt Glinn takes his photographs as they seem natural and unplanned, I will use this idea to generate my own inspiration for my project. I am going to work similarly to this when taking photographs for my project as I want to represent my sense of place through a series of photographs of places which are meaningful to me in the area I grew up.

Copyright – Burt Glinn @ Magnum Photos.