Photography practice shots

In todays photography session we looked at aperture and shutter speed. We had to figure out the correct exposure to fit with the correct aperture/ shutter speed we were using. To practise this we used autumn leaves and captured the motion of them falling after throwing them in the air. We had to create a fast shutter speed in order for the camera to freeze the motion of the leaves falling from the air. You can see the way the leaves are more out of focusses and blurred due to the movement of Jess throwing them.

We also looked at depth of field and Capturing the leaves in a shallow depth of field and a wide depth of field. You can see in the picture of the leaves that the brown, crispy leaves are pretty equal in terms of focus, where as the green leaves focus in on different parts of the leaf showing more in depth texture. I plan on using shallow depth of field in some of my final photos to really focus in on the subject and smaller details of my home.

In the pictures of Jess below I used a wider depth of field but still kept the focus on her which I like as it reveal slightly more in the frame but brings a slight mystery to the picture as we can’t see Jess’s face.