Rationale

Looking back to my statement of intent, I’ve developed and grew into my concept a lot more than I ever anticipated, I think the previous foundations and research I had done for my dissertation.

Unfortunately I was unable to go to Amsterdam in the end as of work commitments, I feel this would have allowed me to see first hand how women feel working in the sex industry and take interviews away from that experience to build a stronger basis incorporating it into my final concept of the Female Gaze.

On the surface this project doesn’t relate however I came up with the idea of looking into the Female Gaze when looking through Glamour magazines rebranded first issue and it occurred to me that we judge and look at other women the way men do. Scrutinising over lumps, bumps, spots who wears what the best and looks the ‘hottest’ when in reality we should be encouraging each others flaws and imperfections. As more times than not other women struggle with the same issues making them more normal and natural than ‘unsightly’.

I found that when looking closer at the Fashion industry women are continually portrayed through the Male Gaze, especially in retail advertising and marketing. Encouraging women to buy into a life where men find them attractive and they fulfil the female beauty ideal.

This is where I got my start point from combining that with my interest in Playboy magazine that I focused on for my dissertation I felt I had a strong starting point.

The exhibitions I discussed in my statement of intent I did visit however didn’t necessarily feel once I had developed my idea beyond the statement of intent, they seemed not irrelevant but to be going down a different scientific path than the one I was looking at with gender studies.

With my gant chart I checked back to it to reference and make sure I hadn’t missed anything/was keeping on track however I did not meet the majority of deadlines and in the end ignored the time like all together. I found it was mostly unrealistic time deadlines which just weren’t attainable.

I feel there are definitely areas of my project that I could improve on and have gone more in depth, doing more photoshoots and incorporating a larger variety of illustrations in my final.

I am however extremely pleased with my exhibition board as I wanted to create a minimalist artist wall as if in someones living room, adding an additional plant to give it more depth and aesthetically pleasing look.

I found this project challenging at times however I think I handled all that it had to throw at me creating a consistent, coherent brand identity along with work that I’m proud of.