THE SCIENCE MUSEUM PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION and the V&A

(AD139: VISUAL PROMOTION)

The Science Museum

Illuminating India Photography 1857-2017 was an exhibition I went to in London. Unfortunately I was not able to take photographs. It was the recent photography that interested me the most and the casual and ‘quotidian’ feel to them that I really loved. 

(Figure 1)

I wanted to go because, not only to I love contemporary film and digital photography, but I love gaining influences from different cultures and countries. I feel as though doing this, enhances my Cultural Capital and gives me a more well-rounded view on the world and develops my creativity in a major way. 

(Figure 2- Modern India)

I particularly love this photograph as first of all, something I have always loved in Photography is leading lines and cutting lines that really make the eye focus on the image. This is something I have done previously in my photography a lot. Previously I have been mostly influenced by Degas and Lartigue, however now that I can see that similar concepts were being carried out in India at similar times is very interesting to me. The other element of this photograph that I love, is the timelessness. This is something that I often would like to portray through my artwork. This gives an image power and strength, I think.

The V&A

After having been to The Science Museum, I went to the V&A to particularly go to the Into the Woods Exhibition as I thought it may help with my concept on Nature. I couldn’t take many photographs, however it was interesting to study the different ways in which Photographers had taken nature and trees to influence their work and give their work different meaning whilst using the same subject. 

Adams

(Figure 3)

Stromberg

(Figure 4)

I liked this image particularly for the cinematic feel it produces, I thought this would be an interesting shot with a fashion model stood looking powerful in front. 

Figures

Figure 1 – Illuminating India Photography 1857-2017 Exhibition at The Science Museum.

Figure 2 – Modern India. High Court, Chandigarh, 1955, Lucien Hervé. J Paul Getty Trust.

Figure 3 – Ansel Adams, Aspens, Northern New Mexico, 1958. Museum no. PH.1376-1980. © Ansel Adams

Figure 4 – Gerhard Stromberg, Coppice (King’s Wood), 1994. Museum no. E.585-2001. © Gerhard Stromberg