[:en]Makesmthng[:]

[:en]Makesmthng is a community that inspires creatives to make instead of fall down the route of consumerism. The community currently organises 400 events over 48 countries. By bringing together communities to create, whilst socialising and spending quality time with friends and family. Through the events that this organisation create they aim to teach individuals new craft skills and fun ways to be creative, using new and exciting techniques to make the most of surrounding resources. Up-cycling, revamping and repairing old things into beautiful creations seems to be at the heart of this organisation. Doing this together as a community means that together we can step out of the cycle of wasteful consumption, thus, giving the earth a break. Their aims are very similar to the aims of my campaign. I believe that bringing people together to make use of resources is our answer to decrease the amount of waste going to landfill will help us move towards a better future and is why I am interested in gaining inspiration from this organisation.

Many of you already practice the art, craft and joy of making and doing it yourself: Cooking, mending clothes, fixing electronics, building toys, upcycling, growing your own food, making your own cosmetics and cleaning products, going plastic-free, aiming for zero waste, or sharing your clothes, bikes and homes with each other. Let’s share our skills, knowledge and experiences with each other and discover and practice new ones.

Makesmthng’s website is insightful and informs visitors on their aims, gives them ideas on how they can help and has online craft/up-cycling tutorials. Their online presence is cohesive throughout, showing their strong brand aesthetic and vision through-out. I have been really inspired by the use of ‘child-like’ visuals and bright colours as I feel that they really speak to the ‘millennial’ demographic that they and also myself are reaching out to. These quirky designs are fun, exciting and simple yet effective. The website itself is clear, uncluttered and is short and sweet in terms of wording. I will need to focus on producing clear and concise content that does not bore the 14-17 demographic as they are more interested in content that they can engage with. I really like their Instagram posts that have a box of colour with big writing in it, surrounded by illustrations. They are bold and straight to the point, this is something I will be experimenting with.

The organisation are partnered with a number of other companies and movements; Greenpeace, #Breakfreefromwaste, Fashion Revolution, Sharable, Artsthread, Fab Lab, The Restart Project, Future Fashion Forward, Giacimenti Urbani Association, Zero Waste Italy, The First Lab in Hamberg and the Buy Responsibly Foundation. This is something that I could think about within my campaign as a future endeavour once my campaign gets an audience.[:]