Reflective Statement

During the start of my first term, I have developed and improved drastically in regards to my studies and performances. It was a struggle in the beginning, however the struggling allowed me to depend on myself. I created a plan in which I would follow in order to stay on track and not fall behind with assignments. Personally, I have become more independent. As I am constantly constructing new plans for myself to follow, in order to balance out both my assignments and personal life. In regards to my work, my work ethic has strengthened. I am extremely involved with my work and strive for creativity with everything I create.

The strengths I obtain are enthusiasm, motivation, driven, and experimental. These skills enable me to be fearless with my work, I’m always willing to test out new designs and formats no matter how dramatic or dull they appear. I value this attribute strongly, because when it comes to creating designs and art, people have to be willing to take risks and experiment. With this attribute, I am able to take criticism well. Due to me continually wanting to enhance and strengthen my creative abilities. These strategies and principles will implement me to work harder and create work which will only improve.

While attending secondary school, my sister and I co-founded a school club, Cancer Awareness Programme. We organized monthly fundraisers, raising money to benefit the American Cancer Society. Even after leaving that school, the club still runs and has over 30 student members. This experience gave me the opportunity to host Rock for Charity, where we invited musicians from other schools to perform in order to raise money for the charity. My responsibilities included assisting in finding a competitively priced venue, designing the tickets, and marketing materials. Through this charity fundraiser I learnt how to negotiate effectively in a foreign language ( at the time I lived in China) . Additionally, the graphic design and marketing taught me how design can attract an audience through visual presentation.

The volunteer work and interest in graphic design allowed me to understand what working with a business is like. I am able to communicate effectively with businesses, and create a plan with them that works for both sides involved. It helped to develop my independent research, team building and leadership skills. Recently, I haven’t done any volunteer work.

However, over the summer I worked at a paid job in a nursery. I would assist foreign teachers in communicating with the children as a translator. This job allowed me to understand patience and management skills. I was constantly working and making sure every child was content and comfortable.

I hope that in the near future, my old and new skills will provide me with the strengths needed to accomplish future tasks and possible occupation opportunities. The new understanding I now have, which is being independent and motivated will benefit me when applying for jobs. As the employer will be able to see that I am an involved and experienced individual.