Don’t Throw Away Your Denim

The fashion industry is now one of the largest, most polluting, wasteful industries in the world. The industry is so reliant on energy-intensive manufacturing it could mean catastrophic environmental consequences.  When it comes to different fabrics and the use of different techniques and processes through its supply chain, the denim industry is by far one of the main causes of serve environmental issues and threatening concerns in the world.  Therefore, the industry needs to guarantee a circular economy, “one that moves beyond fashion’s linear model of take, make and waste, to close the loop.”    Isabella Salini, Disseration. ‘Can denim be sustainable?’, 2019.

I wanted to create a shoot that encouraged people not to throw away their clothing, and as denim is one of the most polluting fabrics in the fashion industry I decided to revolve the shoot around denim.

This denim photoshoot and film I managed to collected 8 pairs of denim jeans from friends and family. I saw these boards and thought the pastel colour would really compliment the denim, creating a strong aesthetic. I dressed the model in a denim jacket I bought from a second hand vintage store for half the price in comparison to a current high street store denim jacket. I used minimal make up as I wanted the focus to be on the colour of the denim which also enhanced her blue eyes.