Creative Publishing: Content

For my creative publishing book I decided to include highlights from semester 1 and 2 projects that also evidence my creativity as well as showing my areas of interest. Below are the projects I decided to include:

Semester 1

As within this project I conducted a variety of experiments I will include the most creative and successful ones. The experiments I will include the disco ball, magic lantern slides, pier photo shoot and my phone screen work. I choose to include let there be light due to the creativity I displayed within the project but also because photography is a major part of my creative process. Photography is an area of interest for me and this project helped the further that interest as experimental photography was not something I had ever experimented with prior to starting my degree at Brighton.

I had very little knowledge of typography before studying in Brighton, therefore this project marked a major improvement in my typographical skills. I learnt typographical rules, many of the typographical functions in Adobe InDesign, as well as how to be creative with typography within its many constraints.

This project helped me to develop my compositional skills but also introduced me to a new way of working. During this project I was creating work derived from a concept as well as applying a concept to work I created. Furthermore the development of my layout and compositional skills ties in with my growing interest in book design.

During this project I was working three dimensionally as well as two dimensionally, which is something I rarely do, therefore I was working in a different way to usual. It taught me the importance of remaining experimental during a project, as during this project I tried to two dimensionally design my outcome very early on but quickly discovered my designs did not work three dimensionally. Therefore I learnt to remain experimental and play with making small models three dimensionally.

Semester 2

This project helped me to develop both my typographical skills as well as my compositional and layout skills. It also furthered my interest in editorial and book design.

Art of the Accident continued my interest of book design as I designed the layout for a 3 section perfect bound book, but it also allowed me to experiment with book design as I created a paper and acetate book, therefore I was experimenting with construction. Furthermore I allowed me to explore photography which has always been a big part of my creative practice.

Semester 1 Assessments


In preparation for our semester 1 assessments we were given a list of work to present and how it should be presented. The work to be presented is as follows:

To present our work all of our layout pads should have cover sheets, held together with bulldog clips or another appropriate binding technique, and on each cover sheet should be a label. These labels should also be attached to any cover sheets for mounted outcomes, archive spines and on the reverse of final outcomes.

Finally to accompany our work we had to complete a self-evaluation sheet for the semester, write a cover letter explaining the work presented and any tutorial and critique note sheets.

For my semester 1 assessment portfolio I attached black cover sheets to all of my layout pads, which I held together with black bulldog clips, and to any work mounted on boards. By having all my cover sheets the same colour it allows my portfolio to easily be identifiable as a single body of work. Any final outcomes that weren’t mounted were printed onto good quality paper and had a label attached to the reverse. When collating all of my work at the end I realised that having my cover sheets as black was a very suitable choice as many of my final outcomes are black and white, therefore adding to the theme throughout my work.

The labels I created were based on the label I produced for my presentation board several months before, although it is not the most ground breaking design it does contain all of the appropriate information and is consistent throughout. Furthermore as I designed my labels several months in advance I did not want to redo the labelling on my work and risk damaging the prints or boards.

Semester 1 Reflection

I believe my work at the start of the academic year was not as strong as it could have been as I was settling into new ways of working and gaining new skills. Towards the end of the semester however my work developed hugely as I had a better idea of what was expected from me and could apply the skills I had been learning. Reflecting on past projects now I can now see how they need to be improved by applying the skills I have learned. Due to time, I cannot revisit and improve every project to the level I would like, therefore for my year 1 semester 1 assessments I improved those which needed it most. The new skills and knowledge I have gained through semester 1 however has put me in a strong position for the start of semester two.

Not only have I gained new skills and knowledge from semester 1 but I have begun to enjoy my work more and am eager to take on more personal projects. My goals for semester two are to create a series of online accounts on various websites to promote my work, to develop and explore my transmogrify project more, to explore experimental photography more which was inspired by let there be light, and to possibly develop my own font inspired by my handwriting. I would also be interested learning and experimenting with vector illustrations, an aspect of graphic design I have been eager to explore for a while but lacked the initial technical knowledge in Adobe Illustrator.