Karl Gerstner’s 58 unit grid as spread – 6×6 grid
Text with: 1-2 large images including captions
Text with: 3-5 medium sized images including captions
Text with 3-5 small sized images including captions
My three final refined designs for the grids project. Minor changes have been made since my previous posts to make sure that all of the elements are properly aligned to the grid and that the textual information is formatted correctly.
In previous projects it has been made aware to me that I have a tendency to make my designs too big and loud so this time I have tried to keep my designs simple and sophisticated. With my three designs I think I have achieved creating visually pleasing designs with very little, as well as learning a lot about grid systems.
Above is my chosen design for the specification ‘Text with: 1-2 large images including captions’. I have chosen this design for my final outcome however it still needs refinement, on the right hand side there is a large amount of negative space which needs balancing. Below are a series of screenshots where I am experimenting with how I can best use the negative space.
Stepping the heading from the body text
Moving the elements to a more central position on the grid to balance the negative space
Balancing the body text in the bottom left with the heading in the top right
Balancing the heading and body text in the bottom left with a grey block of colour in the top right, however the block of colour ends up being distracting
Attempting to balance the body text in the bottom left with the heading in the top right however the layout is more awkward than balance
Using a small grey solid block of colour in the top right containing the folio to balance the heading and body text in the bottom left, once again the solid block of colour is distracting
Mimicking the tones in the photograph on the left with the heading and body text on the right, through altering the orientation of the heading
Below is my chosen design from my above experimentations. In this design I have moved the body text and caption from the bottom right to the bottom centre, helping to close up the negative space. I have also moved the heading to the top right, in line with the statues head on the left, in an attempt to balance the composition on the right sheet with the composition on the left sheet. Furthermore I changed the title in order to make it longer and add more tonal colour to the page. Finally I added a block of colour to the right hand sheet to reduce the harshness of the bright white paper, the colour I choose was selected from the photograph on the right and then reduced to 40% opacity to mute the colour so that it did not compete with the photograph on the left.