Art of the Accident: Colour Schemes

Following on my tutorial with the tutors I began to generate colour schemes using Adobe Kuler based on some of the photographs I had taken at Brighton Beach. During the tutorial it was noted that the photographs reflect Brighton well due to the bright and varied colours present, therefore the tutors suggested experimenting with colour through screen printing. After discussions with the screen printing technicians I found that it would be possible to experiment and create a final outcome in the time remaining due to booking the screen printing beds, however the idea of experimenting with colour still appeals to me.

The photographs above are all from Brighton Beach and our bright and colourful and mainly feature natural forms, therefore I could experiment with colour by contrasting the natural colourful imagery of the beach with industrial erosion and weathering. In the next week I plan on visiting Portslade, the industrial centre of Brighton and Hove, in the hopes of photographing industrial erosion and weathering as well as the industrial forms of the machinery present.

 

Art of the Accident: Typography Experiments

Inspired by one of the photographs included in my mood board I decided to start experimenting with typography and how I can use process to weather and erode it. I began by printing out several copies of the word ‘erosion’ onto paper and tearing the words up. Using the torn up pieces I created several compositions, some were designed to make sure the word was still legible whilst others were more experimental. I also experimented with scrunching the paper up and twisting and distorting the paper to warp the letterforms. For each of my compositions I would photograph them and then take them into Adobe Illustrator where I would use the trace tool to transform my photographs into crisp vector illustrations.

I also explored typography through experimental wiped monoprints. On a large piece of acetate I rolled out black water based ink which I allowed to dry for several hours. Once the ink was fairly dry I used pencils and other sharp objects to scratch the word ‘erosion’ into the surface of the ink. Once again after creating each of these compositions I would photograph them and take them into Adobe Illustrator to turn them into vector illustrations.

Out of the two techniques I used I prefer the effect created tearing and warping the paper. I find the unpredictable distortion of clean and crisp letterforms to be more visually interesting than the effect created from scrapping letters into partially dried ink, as the outcomes created using this process could be recreated with pen, paper and messy handwriting. Further on into the project I hope to create a final outcome in the form of a book therefore my torn and warped paper typography experiments could be revisited and refined for use on the front cover or for titles within the book.