Explain: Improvements Typography

In my video I decided that using moving imagery of my mobile wouldn’t be enough to convey the information about the five stages of sleep, as the only information on the mobile is the brain wave activity scans for each stage of the sleep cycle. I felt it was essential to add textual information to my video however I did not want to simply add frames of digital text as this would not integrate well with the abstract nature of the imagery.

As I wanted my video to be mainly imagery based and easy to understand I began by reducing the information for each stage of the sleep cycle down to it’s basic keywords. I then printed these keywords off and distorted them with a scanner. Not only did this make the type more abstract but it also gave the type an eerie unusual nature similar to that of dreams.

Once I had experimented with distorting the keywords I choose the most successful distortion of each keyword, the distortion that best balance legibility with interesting forms, and refine the scan in Photoshop. I refined the scans by cropping them down and then increasing the contrast to improve clarity.