Creative Publishing: Content

For my creative publishing book I decided to include highlights from semester 1 and 2 projects that also evidence my creativity as well as showing my areas of interest. Below are the projects I decided to include:

Semester 1

As within this project I conducted a variety of experiments I will include the most creative and successful ones. The experiments I will include the disco ball, magic lantern slides, pier photo shoot and my phone screen work. I choose to include let there be light due to the creativity I displayed within the project but also because photography is a major part of my creative process. Photography is an area of interest for me and this project helped the further that interest as experimental photography was not something I had ever experimented with prior to starting my degree at Brighton.

I had very little knowledge of typography before studying in Brighton, therefore this project marked a major improvement in my typographical skills. I learnt typographical rules, many of the typographical functions in Adobe InDesign, as well as how to be creative with typography within its many constraints.

This project helped me to develop my compositional skills but also introduced me to a new way of working. During this project I was creating work derived from a concept as well as applying a concept to work I created. Furthermore the development of my layout and compositional skills ties in with my growing interest in book design.

During this project I was working three dimensionally as well as two dimensionally, which is something I rarely do, therefore I was working in a different way to usual. It taught me the importance of remaining experimental during a project, as during this project I tried to two dimensionally design my outcome very early on but quickly discovered my designs did not work three dimensionally. Therefore I learnt to remain experimental and play with making small models three dimensionally.

Semester 2

This project helped me to develop both my typographical skills as well as my compositional and layout skills. It also furthered my interest in editorial and book design.

Art of the Accident continued my interest of book design as I designed the layout for a 3 section perfect bound book, but it also allowed me to experiment with book design as I created a paper and acetate book, therefore I was experimenting with construction. Furthermore I allowed me to explore photography which has always been a big part of my creative practice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *