15/11/2016 – 28/11/2016
Brief: Collate a range of diverse visual elements and produce several visually dynamic and spatially inventive abstract asymmetric compositions with the aid of cropping tools. The aim is to develop dynamic asymmetric compositions, master the use of ‘L’ shape cropping tools, and develop an understanding of the role of empty space in graphic design.
I began this project by creating my ‘L’ shape cropping tools out of mid grey mount board and also collating a range of diverse visual elements. The elements we were instructed to collect had to fall into any of the following categories; experimental/abstract photographs, abstract marks, abstract shapes and forms, 10 one line quotes, hand lettering, linear/drawn forms, found imagery, something old/aged/weathered, processed imagery or processed type. To find my visual elements I turned to previous university coursework, past foundation work, my environments and objects that I own.
To explore using the cropping tools I physically arranged my elements and then overlaid my cropping tools in order to experiment with how cropping alters an image. Whilst doing this I took photographs of my several crops, this was so that I could go on to review and compare the crops and then to act as a reference when I went on to digitally render my most successful designs.
In order to manually arrange my elements I had to make sure they were all in a physical form, this involved printing out my digital images and cutting into and altering some elements that were already physical. Furthermore to experiment with overlaying I printed some elements onto acetate.
In the brief we were instructed to produce design options for 7 different composition sets, and then render the best design option for each composition set digitally. Below are my most successful designs for each composition set digitally rendered.
I struggled with this project at first as I found processing my assets so that they were all physical and then going onto manually cropping them time consuming and resource intensive. Personally I felt my work would have been more effective if I experimented with cropping digitally as it would have allowed me to produce more work within the time given, however I do see the importance of using physical cropping tools as it allows you to think more carefully about the work and crops that you are making.
The above set I believe varies in quality a lot as illustrates my struggle with this project. For presentation we had to choose 2 from the final 7 designs to print at A2. I chose ‘Something Old/Aged/Weathered with Processed Typography’ and ‘Processed Imagery with Quote’. I am confident that choosing my ‘Something Old/Aged/Weathered with Processed Typography’ image as one of my A2 prints was a good decision as it is the strongest design from the 7 final designs, this was backed up by the feedback given from my tutors during the critique. However I don’t believe I should have chosen ‘Processed Imagery with Quote’ as my other print. This image possess interesting colours and forms however displays very little awareness of cropping. Once again the feedback from tutors supported my thoughts as they suggested working into the image more, possibly further zooming into a section of the processed imagery further and then further experimenting with how the type is incorporated into the image.
Post Critique Amendments
In the time leading up to semester 1 assessments I decided I wanted to improved other projects that needed more work, therefore I didn’t think improving ‘Processed Imagery with Quote’ would be a valuable use of time due to it not being as strong as my other 7 designs. Instead I improved ‘Hand Lettering with Found Imagery’ which I perceived to be much stronger that ‘Processed Imagery with Quote’ and I regret not selecting as one of my final designs. To develop the design further I added in a torn form in the bottom left. I did this as before the image simply consisted of type overlaid onto a photograph, therefore not displaying an understanding of cropping, also the image filled the entire of the print so the addition of negative space would help to break that up.
In conclusion I found this project very difficult to get the hang off at the beginning and by the time I understood what to do I had ran out of time. I know feel like I understand cropping and composition and can use the skills I learnt effectively in future projects, however I don’t believe that is fully reflected still in my final outcomes for this project.