Artist Statement

To follow the brief of a sense of place I decided to capture the beauty of my home village Kings Worthy. This is because Kings Worthy has perhaps the strongest sentimental value to me personally, in addition to being filled with scenic routes. I have drawn upon individual structures and areas that resemble great importance to my life growing up. Furthermore, not only are these photographs reflecting much of my youth, but help to construct a clear image of what Kings Worthy looks like.

Whilst initially some of my photographs contained people, I chose to exclude them from my final portfolio. Despite the aesthetic qualities people can bring to images, I prefer to represent Kings Worthy’s structures and areas in their raw form without including humans. Not only does this mean that my collection focuses on Kings Worthy’s structures and areas, but it helps me to explore the thematic nature of my collection.

My theme that interlinks my photographs is exploring how nature and man-made structures amalgamate with one another in Kings Worthy. My collection illustrates how the two contrasting forces of man and nature collide through my images. Convincingly, some of my photographs highlight how man-made structures have been overcome by nature due to people no longer requiring them. This is evident through the images of the disused war bunker and the rusted plow. Although the structures are deteriorating, as there is no human upkeep, nature is thriving without the presence of humans. Whilst a few photographs focus solely on the beauty of nature, the majority of my images express elements of both man and nature.

Another key feature of my work is the way in which I use natural sunlight to emphasise the beauty of Kings Worthy. For my collection the natural light helps give insight into the physical appeal of living in a rural village such as Kings Worthy. The daylight and sunsets accentuate the astounding scenery that can be seen.

Initially, whilst developing my photographs I chose to either pair my images or place them into groups of three. However for my portfolio, whilst the images have been carefully arranged and chosen, I have not kept all of them in their original grouping as I believe that all of the images are cohesively linked through their representation of my home village.

I believe that my portfolio conveys a strong sense of place. In addition, the way I have captured Kings Worthy creates a positive and pleasant feel to the photographs without the inclusion of people. My work portrays a part of the world that amalgamates man and nature into one place.